Hedgies Heaven.
entries profile wishlist credit



Chrome | 1280x1024 | Awesome

free hit counters visitor(s) since 27/04/12



Sunday 6 May 2012
20 days old hoglets. | Anointing.


Nyaaaa~ If im not mistaken, i have 2 male hoglets and one female. Hmmm. Need to check back on this. Susah ok nak check gender dye as 2 of them doesn't really knows me yet. The last one however already seems to recognize my scent :D Yang friendly ni is the one on the right! The biggest hoglet of them all! lol.


This is him. The one i told you on the above paragraphs. I decided to call him Tae as he seems to like it when i played Tae Yang's songs for him. xD He doesn't really curl up when i held him but he likes to bite my hand. Sure hope he wont be biting my fingers off when he gets older.


Tae, again. This time leaving saliva on my fingers. The first few minutes i noticed that he licks my finger to anoint himself. But after a while he licks and bite a bit more aggressively. I wonder if its because my hand tasted like chicken or something. :D

By the way, Hedgehogs occasionally perform a ritual (?) called anointing. When the animal encounters a new scent, it will lick and bite the source, then form a scented froth in its mouth and paste it on its spines with its tongue. The specific purpose of this ritual is unknown, but some experts believe anointing camouflages the hedgehog with the new scent of the area and provides a possible poison or source of infection to predators poked by their spines. (Source : Wikipedia)

Old | New